|Host an Event
Friends of the animals, like you, find organizing an event to be fun and rewarding. Generous supporters have raised money for the animals through a variety of events such as birthday parties, garage sales, kids lemonade stands, concerts etc. No matter how large or small, your contribution will make a big difference in the lives of the animals.
Try our easy-to-use online fundraising tool to create your event, and start your very own fundraiser for the animals today!
All events must be approved by the Toronto Humane Society prior to promoting or executing the event. If you aren't using the online tool above, please submit an Event Proposal Form at least one month before the event date.
How the Toronto Humane Society Can Help
We can provide the following once your event has been approved:
- Tax receipts , if applicable, or receipting support according to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CRA) guidelines.
- A support letter that validates the authenticity of the event
- Limited promotional supplies, such as brochures.
The Toronto Humane Society cannot provide the following:
- Funding or reimbursement for any event expenses
- Mail/email lists such as donor lists
- THS animals (i.e., dogs and/or cats) to participate in or at the event
- Guaranteed staff representatives to attend or participate in the event
- Applications for gaming licenses, e.g., bingos, lotteries or raffles.
- Permits, licenses and insurance
- Access to sponsors
- Prizes, auction items, awards
The following guidelines can help you plan for your special event:
- Brainstorm ideas and decide on an event. The only limit is your imagination: A-thons - walk, skip, bike, dance, knit, swim; Auctions – use donated goods, hand made products, etc.; Arts and Crafts Shows; Birthday Parties or Personal Celebrations; Galas; Garage Sales; Theme Parties; School Events.
- Form an event planning committee. Recruit enthusiastic people to help you. Decide on roles/tasks for all committee members.
- Set the date and location. Schedule your event for a day, time and location that provides you with plenty of time to plan and promote it properly.
- Set fundraising goals and a budget. It is important you know all your costs before embarking on an event. This will help you monitor your expenses. It will also help you determine your fundraising goals. The lower your cost, the higher the contribution. Determine how money will be collected and handled. Work with the THS staff to determine plans for tax receipts
- Submit an Event Proposal Form to the Toronto Humane Society or register your event online at www.thecauseforpaws.com
- Determine legal, insurance, liability, permit and safety issues you may need to address.
- Develop a publicity/promotion plan. Flyers, posters and other promotional materials will help generate awareness and excitement about your event. The Toronto Humane Society can provide you with a limited quantity of materials (brochures, AnimalTalk, Calendars) upon request.
- Solicit sponsors, Invite participants. Remember thank you's and recognition. Don't forget to recognize those who helped organize and participate in the event.
Application must be approved by The Toronto Humane Society prior to publicizing or holding events. |
Rules and Regulations:
The Event Proposal Application must be submitted to the Toronto Humane Society one month prior to publicizing or holding the event
The name and logo of the Toronto Humane Society are registered trademarks. You will not be permitted to use them without receiving prior written permission. The event must show sufficient potential for income and/or community awareness for the THS to warrant the use of the name and/or logo.
The Toronto Humane Society reserves the right to withdraw the use of its name at any time, and will not assume any costs that may be involved in doing so.
If the event is cancelled, the event organizer agrees to contact The Toronto Humane Society at least 48 hours prior to the event.
The Toronto Humane Society will not assume any legal or financial responsibility and is not responsible for any damage or accidents to persons or property.
The Toronto Humane Society reserves the right to work with the event organizer on promotional and/or publicity efforts.
If the logo or name of the Toronto Humane Society is to be used in any printed form (e.g. brochures, flyers, posters, banners, etc.) it must be approved by the Toronto Humane Society prior to production.
All information released to the media must be reviewed by the Toronto Humane Society prior to distribution. The event organizer assumes complete responsibility for making media contacts. It must be made clear the Toronto Humane Society is not the organization requesting the participation of the media. Existing THS advertising in newspapers, on television or radio must not be used to benefit the event.
Promotion of the event to THS staff and volunteers can occur internally, at the discretion of the THS.
The Toronto Humane Society has a legal obligation to be consistent with Canada Customs and Revenue Agency guidelines. To ensure there is a distinction between the Toronto Humane Society and all third party events, the event organizer must handle all monies until the official donation is submitted to the Toronto Humane Society.
All promotional materials must clearly state the percentage of proceeds that will benefit The Toronto Humane Society.
Money raised must be received within 90 days of the event. A financial accounting of the event income and expenses may be requested by the Toronto Humane Society upon completion of the event.
The Toronto Humane Society is a registered charity and will be pleased to issue charitable tax receipts upon request if the following Canada Customs and Revenue Agency conditions apply:
- The Toronto Humane Society requires an accounting record detailing donations and expenses for your event. The THS reserves the right to audit the financial records pertaining to your event.
- Income tax receipts will be issued to those who have not received a product or tangible item in exchange for their donation.
Tax receipts can be issued to event donors providing the following conditions are met:
- The Toronto Humane Society's charitable registration number is displayed on all event materials
- The Toronto Humane Society receives a clearly written list of the names and addresses of the donors, together with their donation amount.
The Toronto Humane Society cannot issue tax receipts for donated services or paid services (e.g., graphic design, advertising, construction, entertainment, tent set-up etc.), or for product sales.