Welcome to the volunteer page of the Toronto Humane Society.
Volunteers are an important part of our organization and an asset that cannot be replaced. They are a vital link to the community that helps to build positive exposure for the THS. Volunteers add much needed socialization and companionship to our THS animals while they are with us waiting for their forever homes. Volunteers have a commitment that is genuine to the welfare of the animals.
Volunteers add their contribution to many areas of the Toronto Humane Society such as:
- Feeding our kittens in our kitten nursery
- Socializing and grooming with our adult cats
- Walking and interacting with our dogs
- Handling and socializing our special species such as rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters and others
- Helping staff with client care for a positive experience in customer service
- helping staff with administration duties
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be friendly, polite and reliable
- It is highly recommended that volunteers have up-to-date tetanus shots
- Experience with animals is preferred
- You must be able to commit to volunteering a minimum of 3 hours per week
- You must be able to commit to volunteering on the same day each week
- A minimum 6 month commitment is required; with a one month probation period
- Must attend an interview and training session(s) before being scheduled for first shift
The first step at becoming a volunteer is attending a volunteer orientation session.
Volunteer orientation sessions will be posted here when available. Please check back regularly.
Current volunteers can view the Volgistics user manual by clicking here.
New Shelter adoption hours are:
Monday to Friday - 11am to 6pm (animal viewing until 7pm)
Saturday and Sunday - 10am to 5pm (animal viewing until 6pm)