The Facilitated Adoption Program is an alternative to surrender. It allows you to keep your pet in your home while we help you to find a suitable new home. We understand that rehoming a pet is a difficult process and that you want to find the best possible new home for your animal. Our adoption staff are specially trained to identify good potential matches, educate adopters about care needs, and ensure that your animal ends up in the best home possible. We also know how to promote animals in order to help them find the best homes quickly and can help to decrease the amount of time we spend looking for a new home for your pet.
Benefits to Facilitated Adoption
- Your animal can remain in the comfort of your home until moving to a new one.
- We do the promotion work for you: we write a profile for your animal, post your animal on our website and other media, and work to find potential adopters waiting for an animal just like yours.
- Trained Adoption Counselors will help assess potential adopters to find the best possible match for your pet.
- Toronto Humane Society facilities are used to introduce your pet to a potential adopter, rather than having interested adopters come to your home.
Requirements for participation in Toronto Humane Society Facilitated Adoption Program include:
- Proof of ownership of animal
- For cats/dogs/rabbits/ferrets, proof of spay/neuter
- For cats/dogs/ferrets, proof of up-to-date vaccinations
- A cursory veterinary consultation with Toronto Humane Society
- Agreement of our terms of participation laid out in the Facilitated Adoption Contract
The Rehoming Process
In order to become part of our facilitated adoption process, you need to
- Sign a contract allowing us to facilitate an adoption on your behalf. You must provide proof of ownership, spay/neuter and up-to-date vaccinations.
- Complete a background profile about your animal to better enable us to promote your animal and find a well-suited adopter. You can also speak to an adoption counselor to provide us with additional information that will help us to find your pet the best possible home.
- Provide quality photos of your animal to help us promote your pet.