Plants That are Toxic to Pets That You Should Avoid Bringing Home 

| April 12, 2024

As the weather warms up and the allure of springtime beckons, many of us find ourselves eager to fill our homes and gardens with the vibrant colours and sweet fragrances of plants. However, it’s essential to remember that not all plants are safe for our beloved animal companions. Different pets can be especially vulnerable to the toxic effects of certain plant species. To ensure the safety and well-being of our pets, it’s crucial to educate ourselves about which plants to avoid. 

Here’s a roundup of some common plants that are toxic pets. 


These elegant flowers may add a touch of sophistication to your home, but they pose a severe threat to cats, especially. Ingesting any part of a lily plant, including the petals, leaves, or even the pollen, can cause kidney failure in cats. 


Azaleas and Rhododendrons

These popular ornamental shrubs contain toxins called grayanotoxins, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and even coma or death in pets if ingested. 

Sago Palm

While it may resemble a harmless houseplant, the sago palm is highly toxic to both cats and dogs. Ingesting any part of this plant can lead to severe liver damage and, in some cases, prove fatal. 

Tulips and Daffodils

These springtime favourites contain toxins called alkaloids, which can cause gastrointestinal upset, drooling, and, in severe cases, heart arrhythmias and convulsions if ingested by pets. 


Known for its vibrant blooms and evergreen foliage, oleander contains cardiac glycosides that can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death in pets if ingested. 


This popular houseplant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause oral irritation, drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting if chewed on by pets.


Another common houseplant, philodendrons contain oxalates similar to those found in dieffenbachia, causing similar symptoms if ingested by pets.


Whether it’s English ivy, pothos, or devil’s ivy, these climbing vines contain compounds that can cause gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, and diarrhea if consumed by pets. 

Aloe Vera

While prized for its medicinal properties, aloe vera can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors in pets if ingested in large quantities. 


These cheerful flowers contain pyrethrins, which can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and even depression or seizures in pets if ingested. 

These are just a few examples of plants that can pose a danger to our furry friends – for a full list of toxic plants please click here to view a list from the ASPCA 

It’s essential to research any plant before introducing it into your home or garden, especially if you have pets. Additionally, consider pet-proofing your living spaces by keeping toxic plants out of reach and providing safe alternatives for your pets to explore. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant, seek veterinary care immediately.